All — Great Australian Bight Alliance .view-list .entry + .entry { margin-top: 20px; }

Bight tests on ice as groups wait for Equinor decision

Source: The Advertiser

JADE GAILBERGER

THE controversial search for new oil and gas deposits in the Great Australian Bight will not go ahead next month after investors pulled funding from the seismic-testing project.

It comes as Equinor, which was due to provide more information about its environment plan, has been granted a further extension by the federal regulator.

Testing company PGS was in January granted exploration approval from the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority (NOPSEMA) in the waters near Kangaroo Island. It was forced to push back these operations from March to September.

But a PGS spokesman exclusively told The Advertiser that seismic testing had been put on hold and would not occur next month.

“We don’t have plans to acquire seismic in The Bight this year,” he said. “The companies funding the acquisition have deferred until next year.”

Seismic testing involves injecting large air bubbles into water behind a test ship to record sounds as they bounce back from the ocean floor to detect oil and gas deposits.

Equinor was due to provide more information about its environment plan to NOPSEMA by August 26, but was this month granted an extension until September 27. Equinor’s head of corporate communications, Reidar Gjaerum, will visit South Australia next week. He will meet with the Wilderness Society and tour Ceduna, where Equinor would have its helipad and land-based operations if its drilling plans progress.

Wilderness Society SA director Peter Owen also welcomed the delay.

“Seismic testing has a considerable impact on the marine environment and the Great Australian Bight is a completely inappropriate place for this activity,” Mr Owen said.

“We call on PGS to withdraw their plans for seismic testing … permanently.”

Full story p2 Adelaide Advertiser, Wed 21st August

Share

Tasmanian study shows seismic effect on lobsters

Source: Port Lincoln Times

Jarrad Delaney

lobsters.jpg

A study has reaffirmed concerns by local rock lobster fishers that seismic testing can have an effect on the sensory organs and righting reflexes of rock lobster.

Scientists from the Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies at the University of Tasmania, together with Centre for Marine Science and Technology at Curtin University have conducted a study which has been published in the biological science journal 'Proceedings of the Royal Society B'.

Lead author Dr Ryan Day said the decision to study the effects on rock lobster was because the lobsters were a high value fishery and an important part of global marine ecosystems.

He said the test did not test did not factor in ecological impacts.

"Previous studies have shown that the statocyst, a sensory organ on a lobster's head, is critical in controlling their righting reflex, enabling them to remain coordinated and evade predators," he said.

"After exposing lobsters to the equivalent of a commercial air gun signal at a range of 100-150 metres, our study found that the animals suffered significant and lasting damage to their statocyst and righting reflexes.

"The damage was incurred at the time of exposure and persisted for at least one year - surprisingly, even after the exposed lobsters moulted."

South Australian Northern Zone Rock Lobster Fisherman's Association executive officer Kyri Toumazos said this study reaffirmed industry concerns about seismic surveys in the Great Australian Bight.

"This (study) is certainly clear indication we need caution, we hope the government will take it on board and all environmental regulators," he said.

Full story here

Share